Friday, August 26, 2016

Storybook Favorites

After examining the list of storybooks, my final choices are: LSD In A Yellow Submarine, Tales From The Bayou, and Alexander The Great, Reborn!

LSD In A Yellow Submarine

While scrolling through the list of storybooks, this one immediately caught my attention. The title itself is so bizarre. I never thought I would see a story that would incorporate an illegal mind-altering substance with the work of The Beatles. I was sold. Upon reading the humorous introduction, I wanted to give the author a round of applause. I was not sure what to expect, but I love the fact that the story revolves around an old timer who is wanting to live life to the fullest. While I have no comment on the usage of hallucinogenic drugs, I would like to note that it was a creative touch to incorporate it. Everything about the storybook, including the website, is groovy.

Tales From The Bayou

To be honest, the main reason I clicked on Tales From The Bayou was due to a recent visit I had to New Orleans. It was my first time in the Louisiana, and man, the dialect out there is something else. Upon clicking on the storybook,  it was great to see the author use the dialect and grammar of a native of the state. I was introduced to an old lady who had lived in the Bayou her whole life with her family and had a large helping of tales. This is the type of storybook to make someone feel young again, as if they are sitting on their grandma's lap and listening to her speak of old tales. 

The Villains of Black Magic

I chose The Villains of Black Magic due to a religious connection. Black Magic is viewed as a real and very dangerous thing in the Islamic Religion. Upon examining the storybook, I was quite impressed to see what the author had produced. She is a detective, trying to rid her town of mischievous, black magic practicing villains. It was cool to see that the detective was mixing folklore with reality. She incorporated the folklore character Rumpelstiltskin and the Russian Rasputin who had close ties to the royal Russian family, The Nikonaevlas. 



The Beatles' Yellow Submarine

No comments:

Post a Comment