Thursday, August 25, 2016

Introduction to a Future Medical Doctor

A common stereotype of the south asian culture is that parents want their children to become either a doctor or an engineer. Contrary to popular belief, my parents did not force me to travel the route to becoming a doctor. Instead, this was a career choice that I had chosen as a comfort zone, but ended up falling in love with.

This assignment really has me digging deep into my memories and I must say, the nostalgia is a bit too much to handle. I remember when I was very young, I dreamed of being a singer. Any household item was my microphone. Then as the elementary days rolled on, I dreamed to be a soccer player. I prayed to God (Allah) to please allow me to be the best soccer player in the world. Then I fell in love with space and dreamed of being an astronaut. Unfortunately, I learned the different of dreams vs reality. My singing voice most definitely wouldn't get me a golden ticket on American Idol, I got burned out of soccer, and my vision prevented me from becoming an astronaut.

As life rolled on and I entered high school, I started thinking about what I wanted to be when I grow up. Most of the people in my family are businessmen, besides the occasional doctor or engineer, and I thought I was destined to run my family's business. But the 2008 recession happened and I learned the realities of being self employed: there is no job security. Around this same time, my big brother had decided to attend medical school and he would share with me what he did. I started to think, hey if this dude can become a doctor (my brother wasn't the brightest person growing up), then so can I. When applying for college, my dad sat down with me and asked what major I wanted/what careers I was thinking of. I immediately blurted out "I want to do pre med" as it was a comfort zone for me. So I came to OU, not really sure how college worked and a little scared. I started looking at all the requirements to getting into medical school and it looked extremely daunting. I asked myself "can I really do this? Do I have what it takes?" I was so unaware of all of the other choices out there that I just kept going with the flow.

So life continued. I had many many downs during my first few years at OU, and a few ups. Things started to change once I rushed a fraternity my second year. I found a great group of guys, had my head on straight, and was exposed to new careers. It wasn't until I went though a situation with a family member that I realized the true importance of medicine. I had a family member go though a psychological problem that caused some chemical imbalance in their brain. The uninformed Bilal thought that this person was making this stuff up, that they had control over their situation, and that this situation could have been the work of some supernatural force. Feeling lost and with little hope, I went to speak with a doctor and a psychiatrist. I went in feeling like the world was coming to and end, yet walked out with that "light at the end of the tunnel" feeling. I realized that there were certain problems in everyday life that people are misinformed on. They may believe that these problems have no solution, are bizarre, or are up to chance. Yet, there are people who are knowledgeable and informed on these certain problems actually have solutions to them. I wanted to be one of those people. I wanted to be the person that lost individuals come to seeking help, and that I in return offer them my commitment to finding them a solution. I wanted to give someone the same feeling that those doctors I spoke with had given me.

So a new Bilal emerged, who was 100% committed to his career. I began taking harder Pre-Med classes and found ways to gain more medical exposure. I planned the rest of my tenure at OU and thought about what classes I needed to take and how to study for my MCAT. Yet I still wasnt sure if I had what it took to get into medical school. It wasn't until the end of this summer that I had full confidence that I can actually do this. I had always thought that the MCAT was going to be some awful test that I had no way of preparing for. Yet, when I actually looked at a breakdown of the MCAT, I realized " man I have taken literally all of these classes!" I let out the biggest sigh of relief in the world. The boulder had been taken off of my back. I realized that the MCAT was just one big test over everything I had learned so far. That it was totally doable if I just went back and reviewed for it over a period of time.

Now I am a Senior and life couldn't be better. I've realized that I have almost gotten through something which I had once thought to be impossible. Next semester is my MCAT time and Im not scared. I know that as long as I put in effort, I will get the grade I deserve. Life gave me many hurdles these past few years, but I came out on top. Until now, when I had spoken with people about Pre-Med, I told them it was very hard and for them to look into other things. Now, I tell them that it something that is definitely achievable as long as you put your heart into it.


Doctor Consults With Family

2 comments:

  1. Hey Bilal, I think it is great that you want to become a doctor, who cares about stereotypes. Do what you want to do. I don't think you mentioned it in your introduction, but what was your actual major? I know a lot of pre-med students choose microbiology as their major since a lot of the classes need for the degree also fulfill the pre-med requirements. Best of luck on your MCAT whenever you take it, I recently had a friend take it a few days ago and his method of study was very similar to what you described. He thought it was pretty easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Bilal, I definitely understand how you feel. When I first came to OU, I really wasn’t sure if I wanted to be pre-med because I thought it was going to be impossible. I thought the classes were going to be super hard and yes, of course, the MCAT scared me as well. I will be graduating in December and so I’m taking a year off before I apply to because I feel like I need more experience. So during my time off, I plan on working in the hospital and shadowing more doctors!

    ReplyDelete